Monday, 23 September 2013

History of Running Training

A month ago I found a 500 page PhD thesis paper Fast Science: A History of Training Theory and Methods for Elite Runners Through 1975 by Nicholas David Bourne. Bourne takes the reader all the way back to the beginning of the Olympics in Ancient Greece and describes how runners trained during this time all the way up to 1975. Bourne has an incredible background in this field making him the perfect choice for writing such a piece: he's very thorough. While he attributes some of Peter Snell's accomplishments to Herb Elliott, this is one of the best edited pieces I've ever read. I thought the first 200 pages were lacking in detail, but Bourne more than makes up for this in the second half. This was an excellent piece!

Fast Science: A History of Training Theory and Methods for Elite Runners Through 1975


Stay fit,

Jonathan Pratt
Pratt's Pro Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment