Wednesday, 10 December 2014

Improving Flexibility

I’ve always been known to have poor flexibility. When I was a kid my mother heard that many kids were unable to touch their toes. She thought, “There’s no way that my kids can’t do it.” Sure enough I couldn’t touch my toes. Thus, over the years I’ve made numerous concerted efforts at increasing my flexibility. Sometimes I was successful and other times I wasn’t. In fact, one I spent an entire summer stretching my shoulders only to have no improvement in flexibility. That’s because flexibility training is more than static stretching. While I didn’t always see gains in flexibility, I saw other positive changes such as improved function of certain muscles and the elimination of pain.

The scientific research hasn’t been particularly kind to stretching. The research tells us that “too much flexibility may limit performance and increase the risk of injury” (Joyce and Lewindon, 2014). Still, injury rehabilitation experts have been successfully using stretching in their treatment protocols for years. For a more thorough piece on the use of stretching for performance and injury prevention please read my article A Balanced Take on Stretching Debate.


I recently started stretching again after reading High Performance Training for Sports. The flexibility training chapter which was written by Sue Falsone exposed me to some new research. Although static stretching reduces performance in the short-term, in the long-term it increases the isometric strength and contraction speed of a muscle both of which are useful to athletic performance (Joyce and Lewindon, 2014).


 If you train team sport athletes you need to read this book!

This time my stretching regimen was a lot different. I decided to focus on one muscle at a time, so that I wouldn’t give up after a few weeks due to insufficient time. I also added several other techniques to increase my flexibility: breathing drills, soft tissue work, strength of the muscle at its end range of flexibility, and strength of the opposing muscle groups.

The first muscle I worked on was the rectus femoris – a muscle that extends the knee and flexes the hip. I have previously tested this muscle to be short with the Modified Thomas Test.


This is what my Thomas Test looked like. My leg now comes down to the table. 

The Postural Restoration Institute tells us that posture affects muscle tone and breathing affects posture. In fact, the diaphragm is important for posture and motor control as well as for breathing (Courtney, 2009). Breathing drills alone have improved my flexibility. So, I would start every session with deep diaphragmatic breathing with my spine in a neutral position for 5-10 breaths.

This drill is effective for reducing anterior pelvic tilt.

Next I alternated between foam rolling and stretching. We don’t know why foam rolling – or massage therapy for that matter – works, but it does. Interestingly, we now know that stretching doesn’t increase the length of the muscle but rather improves flexibility by modifying sensation (Weppler and Magnusson, 2010). According to a recent study by Mohr and Colleagues (2014) combining stretching and foam rolling has an additive effect on flexibility. I foam rolled the muscle for 60sec and then stretched it for 60sec performing each for three rounds.

The third part of the session involved a technique called proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation or PNF for short. From a stretched position I contracted the stretched muscle for 5sec, relaxed, moved into the newfound range of motion, and repeated until I couldn’t comfortably stretch any farther. At that point I contracted the muscle’s antagonists: the gluteus maximus and hamstrings.

Finally, I concluded the session by performing a strength exercise for the glutes into the new range of motion. I performed 10 glute bridges. Developing strength and control in end-range positions is necessary to maintain flexibility and prevent injuries. The combination of these four techniques has given me normal hip extension range of motion. Following this experiment, I was able to restore shoulder flexion.


Improving flexibility can help or hurt an individual in terms of athletic performance and injury prevention. When increased flexibility is needed, it may be necessary to combine a variety of protocols and it’s important to be able to control this newfound range of motion.

Stay fit,

Jonathan Pratt

No comments:

Post a Comment