Thursday, 12 January 2017

What Does Training for Performance, Health, and Body Composition All Have In Common?

What Does Training for Performance, Health, and Body Composition All Have In Common?
A Quick Look at What I Do at Pratt’s Pro Fitness

My Story

I began my fitness journey with lifting weights in the seventh grade so as not to be bullied. Then, in the eighth grade, I found out I was a good runner and it was something I enjoyed. During my first couple of years I had no little or no coaching and even though I competed in high school cross country and track I trained on my own for much of the year. This is how I learned: through self-experimentation and many mistakes. I ran a lot faster, but I had developed periodic pain in my knees, shins, low back, feet, Achilles tendons, left ankle, and right shoulder. I studied long and hard just to stay in the game and this led to me eliminating most of these issues. From these experiences, I’ve developed a system based around staying in the game. Ask yourself this, “Wouldn’t it be easier to achieve your fitness goals if you weren’t constantly broken down?”

This article is for anyone who may be interested in training at Pratt’s Pro Fitness as well as for current clients. By reading this article you’ll develop a better understanding of the work I do here and learn answers to some frequently asked questions. You may even choose to use it to improve the program you use at your gym.

Summary

Everyone here trains like an athlete. My clients work hard but nothing we do is considered hardcore; instead of trying to make you puke or develop crippling soreness I believe in gradual overload. I wouldn’t consider anything I do to be cool nor do I do things because they’re trendy. I simply stick to what works based on my observations and what’s supported by research.

Functional Movement Screen

Movement is the foundation of every program I write whether your goals are athletic development, improved function, or fat loss. I use the Functional Movement Screen and other tests to gain a greater understanding of your strengths and weaknesses, identify any pre-existing pain, and determine exercise selection. Not only has the information from the FMS helped me eliminate my own injuries, but I’ve also helped clients eliminate chronic low back, knee, hip, and shoulder pain.

Image result for functional movement screening
The Functional Movement Screen is a simple way to measure movement quality and aid in exercise prescription.

Periodization

Periodization simply means doing the right thing at the right time. There are no random workouts or exercises. By making changes to your program every few weeks you can make faster gains, decrease your risk of injury, and reduce boredom. On the other hand, it’s possible to switch it up too frequently and see poor results. My training phases usually last 4 weeks. Instead of making a complete overhaul every 4 weeks it’s best to make small modifications such as changing the sets and reps scheme or using a different variation of the same exercise.

Sample Athlete Periodization
            Phase 1: Anatomical Adaptation – Preparation for later phases
            Phase 2: Maximum Strength – Stronger athletes can develop greater power
            Phase 3: Power – Power is the key to sprinting, agility, and jumping
Phase 4: In-Season Strength/Power – Strength and power must be built during the competitive season albeit with a greater emphasis on recovery for competition

Sample Fitness and Fat Loss Periodization
            Phase 1: Accumulation – High volume develops joint health and builds/maintains muscle
            Phase 2: Intensification – Heavier weights develop strength
            Phase 3: Accumulation
            Phase 4: Intensification

Workout Overview

Workouts generally take 60 min as shown below, but some individuals need more or less time to complete an appropriate workload. In a one-on-one setting this workout can be completed in 45 min.

All my clients train like athletes although there’s great contrast in programs based on ability. Thus, programs tend to be similar but it’s rare to find two that are identical even among clients who are matched up by age, gender, and goals. At this point you might point out that you’re no athlete. But, how would you feel if you had an athlete’s pain-free quality of movement or trim figure?

Sample 60min Workout
5min Foam Rolling
15min Warm-Up
10min Power
                        Perform 3x
                                    Lower Body Power
                                    Upper Body Power
                                    Loaded Carry
30min Strength
            Perform 3x
                        Hip Dominant
                        Upper Body Push
                        Core
                        Mobility/Stability
            Perform 3x
                        Knee Dominant
                        Upper Body Pull
                        Core
                        Mobility/Stability
           
Foam Rolling

Foam rolling is a type of self-massage. It allows us to get more out of the mobility work that follows and reduces soreness from previous workouts. I’ve found foam rolling to be a game changer. When I’m running a lot, I can barely move first thing in the morning without it. A lot of pain tends to be referred pain from overworked muscles too.

A couple OFSAA medalists and a national team member foam rolling at PPF.

Warm-Up

A proper warm-up enhances performance on your workout and reduces the risk of injury. Instead of holding our stretches for 30 s (i.e. static stretching), we prepare for strenuous exercise by gaining range of motion through movement based stretching (i.e. dynamic stretching). While a proper warm-up can easily be done in 10 min I extend the warm-up with injury prevention exercises. Commonly tight muscles are stretched while commonly weak muscles are strengthened. These exercises are most effective in the long term rather than for the workout that follows. I began doing this type of work with my high school cross country team this year daily and it was the first time no one developed shin splints or needed to take a day off due to something hurting.

I even spend a minute on your breathing. Proper breathing alters muscle tone throughout the body. I had an intern perform one drill for five breaths and when she got up her back pain was gone and her shoulder mobility had improved!

The warm-up concludes with exercises that prepare you specifically for the workout such as lunges, squats, and agility ladder work.

Power Training

Power is a key quality for athletic performance. For health purposes, power is lost faster than strength as one ages but is important for aiding in fall prevention and going up stairs. I like to develop power for athletes using plyometrics and Olympic lifting. Those who are trying to improve health or lose body fat don’t need such extreme exercises and are better served by performing kettlebell swings and running through the agility ladder.

Resistance Training

Resistance training is an umbrella term for training to develop strength, power, and muscle growth (i.e. hypertrophy). All programs at PPF involve lifting moderate to heavy weights, although your current level of fitness may require you to begin with learning to control your own bodyweight or to have your bodyweight supported.
Athletic Performance: Resistance training has been shown to improve power, speed, speed endurance, vertical jump, agility, and endurance and reduce the risk of developing injuries.
Fat Loss: All exercise is beneficial for fat loss, but if you have limited time lifting moderate to heavy weight is more effective at reducing body fat than cardiovascular training. Resistance training elevates resting caloric expenditure and helps you maintain your muscle mass while in a caloric deficit. More muscle means more calories burned. One of my clients lost over 50 lbs this year through resistance training twice a week and dieting. There was no cardio work and walking was done irregularly.
Health: Resistance training reduces body fat, improves your ability to perform basic tasks, reduces the risk of developing osteoporosis, and reduces age-related muscle loss.

Circuit Training

Pairing exercises or grouping several exercises into circuits allows you to get more work done in less time. I program the circuits to take roughly 5 min and group together non-competing exercises. This means that when one muscle group is trained it gets about 4 min of rest before it gets trained again. When performing a strength exercise, it’s best for at least 3 min before performing that same exercise again to maximize results. Although this style of program design isn’t effective for athletes with advanced levels of strength (e.g. weightlifters and powerlifters) most athletes will benefit from it. For fat loss, the term metabolic resistance training is used and it appears to be the most effective exercise for this goal.

Free-Weights vs. Machines

I use free-weights (i.e. dumbbells, kettlebells, and barbells) rather than machines because free-weights focus on natural movements rather than isolating single joints/muscles. Free-weights are better for improving performance and movement quality and because they activate more muscles they’re more effective for burning calories. You would have to perform a lot of machine exercises to target all the muscles involved in the deadlift. In fact, I recently found some of my old workouts where I was performing 15 strength exercises in addition to core training. Now I tend to do five. I Once I stopped performing isolated quad exercises I stopped straining my hamstrings.

Strength Exercises

Stronger athletes gain more from power training as power is the product of strength and speed. For the rest of you, being strong means that you can carry your children without injury, carry a lot of groceries, open jars, and climb stairs with ease. Strength has also been linked to mortality.

All human movements can be reduced to a few patterns:
knee dominant (squats and lunges)
hip dominant (deadlifts)
upper body push (push-ups and presses)
upper body pull (rows and chin-ups)
locomotion (carries)

That’s it? Yes!

Pareto’s Law tells us that 80% of our results come from 20% of our actions. In other words, a few fundamental exercises which have stood the test of time are going to get you to your goals.

But won’t I be bored?

Don’t worry. As you progress you’ll be able to rotate between many variations. Take the split squat for example. You could progress from the split squat to the Bulgarian split squat and later the Valslide reverse lunge, reverse lunge, and deficit reverse lunge. You can perform these movements for high repetitions, low repetitions, slowly, with pauses, one kettlebell or two, or with a barbell. Too advanced for you? You might begin with a band assisted split squat.

Athletes should note that at no point will I have you mimic your sporting movement with a weight or resistance band. Research shows that this interferes with skill development. Training at PPF isn’t about being sports-specific; playing your sport is sports-specific. Instead, the goal of training at PPF is to develop your body to the point where it will do whatever you (or your coach) ask of it.

Image result for kettlebell deadlift
The kettlebell deadlift is a beginner exercise that works nearly every muscle.

Mobility and Stability Training

When I refer to mobility I’m referring to range of motion about a joint or series of joints. Stability is control in the presence of change. Where most people go wrong is increasing their mobility through stretching without adding stability to their newfound range of motion. This leaves one susceptible to injury. I’ve also seen many cases where a lack of stability is the reason my client couldn’t achieve the right position.

At PPF I focus on developing mobility of your ankles, hips, and upper back, while developing stability in your lower back and around your shoulder blades as per the Joint-by-Joint Approach developed by Mike Boyle and Gray Cook.

Core Training

Core training at PPF isn’t about making your abs burn with 30min of core work. While this type of training might be beneficial for bodybuilding, the goal of core training is to improve the function of your muscles in-and-around your midsection and hips so that they work while you’re doing squats, push-ups and other exercises. Therefore, only a few isolated core exercises are needed as every exercise becomes a core exercise.

It used to be that the core was trained by bending forward, sideways, and backward with crunches, side bends, and supermen, but research by Stuart McGill has shown us that there are safer more effective exercises such as planks, suitcase carries, and bird dogs. 

Image result for suitcase carry
The suitcase carry develops core and hip strength without causing wear-and-tear on your spine.

Conclusion 

At Pratt’s Pro Fitness performance, health, and improved body composition are developed through strength training with a focus on sound technique and injury prevention. Everyone here trains like an athlete.

If you or a friend have any more questions about Pratt’s Pro Fitness or any health and fitness related questions, please contact me through my website listed below.

Stay fit,
Jonathan Pratt


No comments:

Post a Comment